1. What are your hopes for the service-learning project?
I hoped to learn from this service-learning project by getting to know more about other cultures with how they learn. I want to get to know their backgrounds with schooling and how it's different or similar to how schools are here in America. I was a little worried at first of not being able to communicate with some students because what if they didn't know English very well. As being an Education major, I tried thinking of different ways of being able to help them in their studies if it didn't work one way due to communication. I was also very excited to start tutoring since I enjoy helping students learn and having that impact on their lives because of what I can provide for them.
2. What are your assumptions about your service-learning site?
I don't have too many assumptions about the site of my service-learning project. I assume that we will be in a classroom with all types of learners not just ELL. It would be an inclusion setting that we would work with those that are refugees in a normal class setting. I don't know too much about the town of Rock Island, so I don't know if it's a diverse high school but we are in a bigger city so I assume that diversity will be a bit higher here. In other words, I don't know what else to think about the site.
3. What do you already know/or assume about the work they do?
The only thing I know about the work they do is to help refugee students with their school work. I notice that there are times to come in during Biology, Math, and then study skills. These areas is where it seems they need the most help. It can range from doing homework or labs or maybe even tests. All I know or assume is that we will tutor those who need help or are struggling in certain subjects.
4. What do you know/or assume about the population they serve?
The only thing that I know is that these students can come from all over the world. They came here to get away from whatever bad things were going on back home so they had to leave. They most likely will have a different experience of learning and schooling than we do in America. It may be possible that someone hasn't had any schooling at all. Every culture has what's important to them so it may be hard for them to fit in and understand our culture here in America. Some refugees might not even get all the food they need. These students just need that attention they deserve to feel loved.
5. What connections/interests/passions do you have for this site or the population it serves?
As being an Education major, working with students and kids is what I love to do. I'm really excited to start this journey and learn about all these kids and have a close connection with these students. I want them to be able to open up to me and I can learn all about their lives back home and here in America. I'm excited to be able to learn something new with each and every one I work with. Being in a school setting is where my comfort zone is so hopefully that'll help those students feel comfortable with working with me too. I don't know too much about the population of these students but I am willing to learn about anything. I'm very interested and excited to work with these students and be able to have an impact on their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment